foxfire on a limb

foxfire on a limb
Foxfire: Bioluminescent Fungi

Monday, January 7, 2013

My Shoe Prayer






This morning’s spiritual question:

Have you ever had a “George Muller” answered prayer? Describe it.



(George Muller, a 19th century founder of children’s orphanages who confided in God, and God alone, for his and the orphanages needs.  Never letting on to anyone, out side of God, what those needs were. )



I didn’t even finish reading the question before one of those answered prayers popped into my head.  I was teaching at a Christian school at the time of the prayer, and because the school was a ministry of the church my position was more of an offering than a job.  What I am trying to say is that the job didn’t pay monetarily.   This, at times, left us short of the income we needed to buy silly things like shoes.  Now I am not saying that I didn’t have shoes, I did, but only one pair that I could wear with the mandatory dress code. 



I was quit frustrated one morning while I was getting ready for the day when I discovered that my shoes didn’t match, really they did not match, the outfit I wanted to wear.  My choices in outfits were limited so I put the odd ensemble on and then prayed, “Lord, I really could use some shoes.”



I prayed that to God alone, really like a test, because I had just been teaching about George Muller in my history class that week.  Get what I just said?  Yea…I was teaching something that I didn’t totally believe.  I know that is not something to proudly confess but it will help you understand why that answered prayer popped into my head first. 



Now I know that it is going to be hard for you to believe, and I know this because it was hard for me to believe, that prayer was answered before I even got to school that day.  Waiting for me in my room, beside my desk, was a box of shoes.  Not just old, dirty, worn out shoes, but a dozen of nice, clean, current style, shoes!  I am known to be kind of an emotional person, OK, I am an emotional person, so needless to say I broke down the minute I saw the box.  My mascara ran down and off me along with the belief that I had to be a George Muller for God to answer my George Muller prayer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment